Are you tired of all the sweet protein drinks? If so, you HAVE to try this simple high protein egg drop soup recipe. It takes only 5 minutes to make and all you need is a microwave.
The dietitian in me added a little bit of frozen spinach to help boost the iron and fiber content. It also helps to lower the temperature of the hot water, so you can add the chicken soup flavored protein powder to it.
On that note, if this is your first time using protein powder in your soup, be aware that the temperature of the water needs to be less than 140 F. If the water is above 140 F then the protein powder will become clumpy and unappealing.
I used Unjury Protein Powder because I am personally a fan. There are other one’s out there though that I have not yet tried.
If you are drinking this soup in the early stages you may or may not be able to tolerate the spinach. It’s okay! I understand, but be sure to add it back in once you are tolerating more vegetable. If you are in the soft stage it may be helpful to puree this soup with spinach to tolerate it better.
Modifications for Diet Stage:
- After preparing, puree in blender
- Serve as is
- Prepare as written, but feel free to add more veggies and garnish with green onion
Simple High Protein Egg Drop Soup
This soup is perfect if you are tired of sweet protein drinks.
- Total Time: 5
- Category: Soup
- Method: Microwave
- Cuisine: Asian
- 8 oz water
- 1 serving of chicken soup flavor protein powder
- 1 egg
- 1/4 c frozen spinach
- 1 green onion, chopped (optional)
- Heat up 8 oz of water in the microwave for 3 minutes on High.
- While cooking, whisk one egg in a bowl. When water is done heating, whisk egg into water mixture. Then add frozen spinach. The spinach will help cool down the water so you can add protein powder.
- Once temperature of soup is below 140 F add protein powder and whisk.
- Purée in blender if needed. Add green onions before serving if regular.
- After prepared, puree in blender
- Serve as is
- Garnish with green onions
- Serve with Stir Fry and long grain brown rice
Keywords: High protein Egg Drop Soup