This Sheet Pan Lemon Rosemary Chicken is the perfect weeknight meal that the whole family will enjoy after bariatric surgery.
In this recipe I used chicken drumsticks but you could easily use chicken thighs or breast. You may need to increase the cooking time if you are using chicken breasts. I chose drumsticks because many people tolerate the dark meat better than the white meat after bariatric surgery. It tends to be more moist and easier to digest.
As for the vegetable in this meal I chose carrots. I kept it easy and bought baby carrots, this way you do not need to chop them. You can also use broccoli or asparagus in this meal instead of the carrots.
This recipe includes sweet potatoes for a small amount of healthy carb. If you are only cooking for one then I suggest only using one sweet potato that is chopped up. However, if you have a family you are cooking for you may want to increase the potato serving.
The sauce for this meal is so easy and very flavorful. The ingredients include lemon, rosemary, salt and olive oil. Super yummy and satisfying.
If you are meal prepping then you can easily portion it out into individual meal prep containers. Include 3-4 oz chicken, ⅓ c of carrots and 2-3 tablespoons of potato in each meal container. Heat in the microwave for 2 minutes.
Bariatric Diet Modifications
- Omit potatoes because your pouch size is likely too small to include starchy carbs yet. Use chicken breasts or boneless chicken thighs instead. Blend in blender until desired consistency reached. Use chicken broth to help thin the ingredients until desired texture achieved.
- Omit potatoes if you have not started to include starchy carbs yet. Please follow your surgeons guidelines. If roasted carrots are not soft enough you may need to consider steaming them instead.
- Serve as is. If serving multiple family members that are not as concerned with carb intake, increase the amount of potatoes.
Sheet Pan Lemon Rosemary Chicken
This Sheet Pan Lemon Rosemary Chicken recipe is an easy weeknight meal that the whole family can enjoy.
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 45
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 lemons, 1 for juicing and the other sliced
- 1 tablespoon of dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1.5 lbs chicken drumsticks
- 1 medium sweet potato, diced
- 3 carrots, cut into rounds
- Heat oven to 425 F
- In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil, lemon juice, rosemary, garlic, salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl add chicken, carrots and sweet potatoes. Then toss with the olive oil dressing you prepared in step 2.
- Place all items in a single layer on a baking pan. Top with lemon slices and cook 30 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 165 F.
- If meal prepping, serve 1 drumstick in each container, 1/3 c of carrots and 2-3 tablespoon of potatoes.