High Protein Tomato Soup
With fall season right around the corner, there is nothing more comforting than tomato soup. I created this High Protein Tomato Soup especially with you in mind.
But the reality is that this high protein tomato soup is perfect all year-a-round if you are in the pureed or soft diet phase. Since traditional tomato soups are low in protein, I added 1 scoop of unflavored protein powder to boost the protein content.
I suggest not adding the protein powder until the end, this way you can ladle out the soup for others in your family too. When the whole family is eating the same meal it can make things a lot easier.
To be honest with you, I usually taste the protein powder when I add it to food and it makes me feel like I am eating diet food. But this soup is different. The acidity in the tomatoes masks the flavor of the protein powder. So if you have had a challenging time drinking protein drinks, then this recipe may be perfect for you
You may remember from my Weeknight Pasta Fagioli recipe that my family is Italian. Well, I decided to use our family tomato sauce recipe for the base of this soup. It tastes so good.
If you do not feel like cooking the tomato sauce from scratch you could also purchase your favorite tomato sauce (without added sugar) from the store and use it as the base for this meal. Just heat it up and add 1 scoop of unflavored protein powder before serving. Then blend it up if you are on the pureed diet. Voila!
- Blend to desired consistency before serving
- Serve as is and do not garnish with basil. Consider adding cottage cheese on the side
- Garnish with basil and consider adding cottage cheese on the side
High Protein Tomato Soup
A high protein tomato soup that is easy to make. You cannot even tell there is protein powder in it.
- Total Time: 30
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 can (28 oz) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp Italian seasonings
- ¼ c Parmesan cheese
- 1 scoop unflavored protein powder (I used Unjury)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Basil (optional)
- Milk or cottage cheese (optional)
- Sauté garlic in olive oils for 30 seconds over medium heat.
- Add crushed and diced tomatoes, Italian seasonings, and cheese. Simmer for 20 min.
- Once it is done cooking, serve the soup in bowls for family members that do not need extra protein powder. Ladle out 1 cup for yourself and once temperature reaches below 140 F add 1 scoop of protein powder.
- If in pureed phase, blend to desired consistency
- Garnish with basil (if beyond soft diet stage) and add milk (for pureed) or cottage cheese if desired.
- Blend in blender before eating
- Serve as is
- Garnish with basil
- Serving Size: 1 cup (with protein powder)
- Calories: 157
- Sugar: 5.2
- Fat: 3.2
- Carbohydrates: 9.3
- Protein: 24.3
Keywords: tomato soup, high protein, comfort