High Protein Chicken Soup
This simple High Protein Chicken Soup is the perfect food to have after bariatric surgery. It well tolerated and has the familiar flavor of chicken noodle soup.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 35
- Yield: 4 cups 1x
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Comfort
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1.25 lbs boneless chicken thighs
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 3 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Then add chicken thighs and cook thoroughly (About 5-10 minutes each side. Once chicken is cooked, remove from dutch oven. Let cool. Once cool enough to touch, cut up into bite size pieces.
- Next, saute onions, carrot, and celery in the same dutch oven. There is no need to remove the liquid from the chicken because it will add to the flavor of the soup. Sauté veggies for 5 min.
- Add chicken broth, thyme, rosemary and cut up chicken. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 10-15 min.
- Remove from heat. Place in blender or use an immersion blender and puree until desired consistency.
Pureed & Soft Stage:
- Use 1 tsp of celery seed instead of celery if your guidelines say “No stringy vegetables”
Eating with family:
- If you are eating this with family, removed their portions prior to pureeing and garnish with parsley.
- Consider serving with whole wheat rolls to your family
Keywords: High Protein Chicken Soup