Fish tacos are one of my favs! Honestly, I could eat fish tacos every night which is why I created these Easy Fish Tacos
Although they are most famous for the fried version, the grilled fish tacos are pretty good too, especially if you have the right sauce.
It is all about the sauce! Am I right?
As long as you have the sauce right, almost (I said almost ;)) nothing else matters. And luckily I was able to re-create that Baja Flavor with cottage cheese to help boost the protein and lower the fat. The lime and cumin I the sauce help give it a more authentic flavor.
These tacos came together in less than 30 minutes and that included defrosting the shrimp underwater. They are a perfect weeknight meal.
You can even make it faster by making sure your shrimp are defrosted ahead of time and prepare the sauce on the weekend. I would also suggest purchasing shredded cabbage so you don’t need to worry about cutting it yourself. I am all about pre-packaged if you are trying to save time.
This is a recipe the whole family will love. You could serve guacamole on the side with baked tortilla chips for the family. It would also go well with refried beans on the side to help bulk up the menu selection. Flour tortillas would taste good too but they are not as high in fiber and not traditionally used for fish tacos.
This recipe is primarily for the regular diet stage but modifications can be made for soft diet stage.
Modifications to diet stage:
- Follow soft stage diet recommendations below and then pureé in food processor to desired consistency. Suggest thinning with yogurt and maybe a little lime juice.
- Prepare shrimp with Baja sauce mixture. Omit the vegetables and corn tortilla.
- Prepare recipe as is. You could also add more spice such as jalapeños.
Easy Fish Tacos
Easy Fish taco for you and your family.
- Total Time: 20
- Category: Dinner
- Cuisine: Mexican
For Baja Sauce Mixture:
- ¼ cup cottage cheese
- ¼ cup yogurt
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- Juice of half a lime
- 2 cups shredded cabbage (I used a package)
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 lb raw shrimp, shelled and deveined, tails removed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- Chopped cilantro (garnish)
- Chopped green onion (garnish)
- Corn tortillas
- Mix together cottage cheese, yogurt, cumin, salt and lime juice. Add cabbage and tomato. Mix and set aside.
- Mix shrimp with olive oil and cumin. Sauté shrimp mixture in saucepan over medium heat for about 5-10 minutes (until shrimp are cooked through). Remove from heat.
- Heat tortillas if eating. Then add cooked shrimp mixture on top. Then top with sauce mixture and garnish with cilantro and green onion
- If eating during soft diet stage, just eat shrimp mixture
- Also tastes good as a lettuce wrap
Keywords: Easy Fish Tacos