These Meal Prep Breakfast Egg Bowls are the perfect “on the go” meal after bariatric surgery. They’re portable, tasty and best of all, easy to make.
I used salsa and black beans in this recipe to give it more flavor and fiber but these are not necessary. If your pouch size is still too small or you do not want to include carbs in your breakfast then feel free to omit the black beans.
You can either eat this cold or warm but I prefer warm. If you prefer them warm too then heat in the microwave for 1.5-2 minutes before eating.
What meal container should I use?
For this recipe I like to use 1 cup mason jars. They are small and good for portion control. In the recipe I like to “stack” the ingredients on top of one another. I typically place the salsa on the bottom of these meal prep breakfast egg bowls and the spinach on top so it does not get soggy.
How to meal prep these for the week
I would suggest making these meal prep breakfast egg bowls on Sunday and store them in the fridge for no more than 3-4 days. Since this obviously will not carry you through the rest of the week you can do a second meal prep on Wednesday night or use a protein drink for the other days of the week.
The recipe below is for one breakfast egg bowl. Depending on how many days you want to meal prep for adjust the recipe according. This meal is VERY forgiving, so feel free to eyeball. The most important thing is your protein, so if you can handle two eggs at a time and want to eat these for four days in a row then prepare eight eggs.
If you like this you may also like:
Bariatric Diet Modifications
- Not suitable for pureed diet.
- Make sure spinach is sauteed thoroughly. Check your guidelines to make sure salsa is allowed.
- Serve as is. Consider using raw spinach at the top.
Easy Bariatric Meal Prep Breakfast Bowls
An easy, portable breakfast to eat after bariatric surgery
- Total Time: 15
- Category: Breakfast
- 1–2 tablespoon salsa
- 2 tablespoon black beans
- 2 scrambled eggs
- 1 tablespoon cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoon cooked spinach
- In a small jar layer in the following order: salsa, black beans, scrambled eggs, cheddar cheese, spinach.
- Place lid on jar and store in fridge for 3-4 days, or until needed. Once ready to use pour in in bowl and eat. If you want it warm, then heat in microwave for 1.5-2 minutes. Enjoy!
- Not recommended
- Make sure spinach is thoroughly cooked
- May use raw spinach if desired
Keywords: Breakfast bowl